The StorkShiraz 2013
Ken Mackenzie, who bought the farm in 1987 was a lanky chap with long, thin legs. When joining the RAF as a Spitfire pilot in World War Two, he quickly earned the nickname “Stork”. In his honour, we name this iconic Shiraz. He loved Shiraz, and we know he'd be very proud of this one!
The Stork is extremely limited, representing a very specific vineyard of Shiraz at the estate.
Planted in the near-perfect clay-rich red earth (terra rossa) on one of the estate’s South-eastern slopes. Due to the deeper soils and lower temperatures these Shiraz grapes ripen a full month later than anywhere else on Hartenberg. One average five or six picks are made from the parcel over two or three weeks; each representing a facet of this great vineyard.
Shiraz is the cultivar that has made Hartenberg famous, and The Stork will ensure this reputation continues.
- 2011 Tim Atkins SA Wine Report 93 points (June 2015), 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2010 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, Gold Medal Decanter (2014)
- 2009 Silver medal 2013 Syrah Du Monde France
- 2008 Gold Medal 2012 Syrah Du Monde and first place- best Shiraz in the world
- 2007 91 points Robert Parker, 5 stars Vic Harrington (Canada), 92 points Wine Pioneers, 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2006 Gold Medal Syrah Du Monde France, 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2005 5 stars Decanter Magazine, 3rd best Syrah Du Monde (France), 91+ points Wine Spectator & Wine Enthusiast, 5 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2004 5 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, 90 points Wine Spectator
- 2003 91 points Wine Spectator, IWSC Gold Medal, Double Gold SA Veritas, Michaelangelo Red Wine of the year
- Barrel Ageing: 19 months in 100% new French Oak Barrels
- Maturation: up to 15 years from vintage
- Alcohol: 14.34% by volume
- Residual Sugar: 2.2 g/l
- Total Acid: 5.7 g/l
- pH: 3.5
Dijon & herb-crusted rack of Lamb served with a simple jus.
Rich and mouth filling with loads of black fruit, violets, cherries.
"... decadent, almost ostentatious bouquet of macerated dark cherries, creme de cassis, plum and glycerine...palate is full-bodied with silky smooth, seamless tannins and layers of luscious red fruits. For hedonists, this is the perfect Shiraz!" (NM) Robert Parker