The MackenzieBordeaux Blend 2013
The Mackenzie with its backbone of Cabernet Sauvignon, is our flagship red blend. The Mackenzie recognizes the current family in a 400 year lineage of owners.
This limited volume wine represents a single vineyard block where Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes grow side by side in deep red Tukulu soil.
Each cultivar underwent malo separately in 100% new French oak.
- 2012 awaiting review
- 2011 94 points Tim Atkin SA Wine Report (June 2015), 5 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2010 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2009 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2008 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2007 5 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, SAA Red Wine Trophy (2010), 5 Star Vic Harrington (Canada), 95 pts Wine Pioneers
- 2006 90 points Robert Parker, 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2005 5 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, 92 pts Wine Enthusiast, 91 pts Wine Spectator
- 2004 IWSC Gold Medal
- Grape Varieties 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot
- Production: Limited to 13 barrels
- Barrel Ageing: 19 months in 100% new French oak
- Maturation: 10 to 15 years from vintage
- Alcohol: 14.65 % by volume
- Residual Sugar: 2.2 g/l
- Total Acid: 5.7 g/l
- pH: 3.54
Rich meat dishes with a savoury jus, leg of lamb or sirloin on the bone with red wine jus.
This classically styled, richly structured wine shows strong blackcurrant notes, as well as violets and dark chocolate aromas. The palate has a melange of vanillin oak flavours, intermingled black and red fruit.