As luck would have it, Shiraz grapes love poor, gravelly soil - just the kind of soil we have in abundance on parts of our farm. The kind you need to produce world-beating Shiraz. This was another excellent vintage for the growing of red wines in Stellenbosch, with hot, dry weather resulting in small and concentrated berries. Grapes were hand-picked and, after crushing, only 20% of the juice was drawn off for use in this wine. This juice was cold soaked overnight, then two Rhone-sourced yeasts were inoculated. The oak component fwas made up of 100% French.
Once again, Nature has smiled upon us because the very same vineyards on Hartenberg with the perfect soils for Shiraz, also have the perfect weather for it.
All we have to do to make our award-winning Shiraz is harness what we already have, and stick it in a bottle. To be absolutely honest, it would be more difficult for us to produce a poor Shiraz on Hartenberg than a good one.
- 2012 Veritas 2015 Gold Medal Winner
- 2011 Tim Atkins 91 points, 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide 2015
- 2010 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, Gold Medal IWSC (2014), Top 12 Shiraz SA (2014)
- 2009 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, 90 points Robert Parker, Decanter Gold (2013)
- 2008 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2007 92 points Robert Parker, 91 points Wine Spectator, 90 points Wine Pioneers (USA), 4 stars Vic Harrington (Canada), 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2006 Gold medal & best new world wine Expovino (Switzerland), 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2005 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2004 Gold medal Syrah Du Monde (France), 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2003 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, Gold SA Veritas, Gold Swiss Airlines
- Barrel Ageing: 18 months in French Oak (225l)
- Maturation: Up to 12 years from vintage
- Alcohol: 14,65% by volume
- Residual Sugar: 2.6 g/l
- Total Acid: 5.9 g/l
- pH: 3.46
Great pairing with Karoo lamb, a delicious home-made beef burger with grilled cheddar topping or mushroom risotto.
Deep black - red in colour and spicy, earthy notes on bouquet entry. Also cloves, red and black berry fruit. The palate is rich , fruit-driven and has great balance. Fine, powdery tannins finsh the wine.
"steady as she goes for the 11 from the farm's signature grape. Supple & lithe. It displays spicy blue fruit & medium body with rewarding aftertaste." ~ Platter SA Wine Guide 2015