How has our Merlot managed to pick up so many awards recently? Try it and you'll understand.
Each vineyard was specially selected, and each bunch of grapes was hand-picked early in the morning. The grapes were cold soaked for two days, then the juice inoculated with a French-sourced yeast. The must was fermented and pumped over four times daily, followed by an extended maceration for fourteen days, and a fractional pressing.
After settling, the wine was moved to French oak for malolactic fermentation.
If you’re a little confused about what all this means, it means the guys who make this are all a little bit cuckoo for making wine, and they won’t let anyone or anything get in the way of making the best one they can. In the world. In fact, the universe.
And that's all you need to know. Except where to find the corkscrew.
- 2012 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide 2016
- 2011 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide 2015
- 2010 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide 2014, 90 points Robert Parker, Gold Medal SA Veritas (2013), Gold Concours Mondial De Bruxelles (2014)
- 2009 91 points Robert Parker (USA), 4 star Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2008 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, 90 points Robert Parker
- 2007 4 stars Platter's SA Wine Guide, 91 points Wine Pioneer (USA)
- 2006 4½ stars Platter's SA Wine Guide
- 2005 Trophy for Best Merlot in the World at IWSC England (2008)
- 2004 SA Diner's Club Winemaker of the Year (2005)
- Barrel Ageing: 18 months in french oak
- Maturation: 10 - 15 years from vintage
- Alcohol: 14.52% by volume
- Residual Sugar: 2.1 g/l
- Total Acid: 6.1 g/l
- pH: 3.53
Merlot pairs well with lighter style dishes like panko crumbed pork with mustard cream sauce or roasted tomato pasta.
Opaque, brick red in colour. a melange of aromas permeate the nose, showing truffles, forest floor, violets, plums and cherry. The palate is medium/full bodied, realing juicy fruit, wonderful texture, fine grained tannins and a silky finish.
"bright, bramble & cocoa notes on plush, approachable yet defined & structured palate, Broad, deep & concentrated." - Platter SA Wine Guide 2014